Time to ‘get back to transformational stuff,’ says Rhode Island CIO
After more than a year-and-a-half of the pandemic, Rhode Island Chief Information Officer Bijay Kumar says it’s time for his state to get back to its longer-term technology modernization projects.
In Rhode Island, this centers on an upcoming enterprise resource planning system upgrade, a hybrid-cloud strategy and a more nimble approach to IT that was revealed by the health crisis, Kumar says in an interview recorded this week at the National Association of State Chief Information Officers conference in Seattle.
“What the pandemic has taught us is that it doesn’t have to be the old ways of how we did things,” Kumar says. “We can do this in much more nimble, agile, faster way and that’s something the team has really embraced.”
Topics covered in the video:
- Workforce flexibility
- Rhode Island’s journey to the cloud
- Using analytics to make decisions
- Use of AI for fraud prevention and cybersecurity
- Rhode Island’s hybrid cloud strategy
- The state’s upcoming enterprise resource planning project
- Reducing the state’s technical debt with limited resources
This interview was conducted by Jake Williams, vice president of content and community for StateScoop and EdScoop.